A guide, how to hire a Bodyguard
“It's not all about pedigree and breeding; it's often about hours of training and networks!”
Hiring a Bodyguard is not as difficult as you might think, all professional companies will work with you to provide a service that fits into your lifestyle with the minimum amount of disruption to your family and work life. Some people need to hire a Bodyguard for a single event or business trip overseas, for others it's long-term and the Bodyguard will become part of their extended family.
Every week we have clients come to us from around the world, all different, all facing varying levels of threat from travelling to hostile environments, such as some countries in the Middle East or Africa, through to High Net Worth Individuals and Royal Families. Now, not everyone has had the need to hire a Bodyguard before, so it may be out of the ordinary to do so and you may wonder why we ask so many questions of you when you talk with us…
Bodyguard or Close Protection Operative?
Bodyguards are called many different things by many different people and it very much depends on the role in which they are employed. “Bodyguard” is a very generic term and there are several different types of Bodyguard, such as:
Executive Protection Services are carried out across the world in every capital city, you might not even notice it. Of course, you will have seen photos in the press and online of celebrities being protected and that is most people's image of Close Protection Bodyguards. Not all Close Protection is as overt, many clients prefer not to attract attention, rather opting for a more subtle approach.
Even within Executive Protection there are a number of different specialist fields and experience, from working with Royal Families (Royalty Protection Services), to working with young children. Each job or task requires a different mind/set and selection of skills, and can involve different qualifications such as a Paediatric First Aid qualification for instance.
Soft skills - a good Close Protection Officer in the “Executive Protection” role will be all about soft skills, he or she will have great interpersonal skills, etiquette, but first and foremost, charisma.
This is where military skills really do take over. Carrying out Close Protection in hostile locations is all about teamwork, moving fast and reacting to dynamic situations and scenarios which are often totally out of your control. Driving and Medical Training become very relevant and are looked upon as specialist roles.
Questions to ask when Hiring a Bodyguard
It is totally fine to ask as many questions about our service as you like. Every single client has different needs, so it is important for you to get exactly what you want when hiring a Bodyguard. Many questions will be asked of you in order to find out your requirements accurately, to provide the best possible level of service and to match your requirements to the Close Protection Operative(s) with the best skills set.
What we will need to know:
- Who is the Close Protection for?
- Do we need to protect children or those with special needs?
- Where is the Close Protection required?
- What is the perceived threat level?
- Is Police liaison required?
- Do you require Covert or Overt Close Protection?
- Are vehicles required? If so, what type might be suitable?
- Are you or any other party under any medication?
- Are there any underlying health problems?
- What hours do you want the service to cover?
- How long is the service required for?
- Do you have any specific language requirements?
- Do you require a trained Security Driver too?
- Is food and accommodation provided?
What type of questions should you be asking?
- How long has the company been established?
- What is the legal status of the company? Is it a Limited Company?
- Do we have to agree a service contract?
- Do you have a confidentiality contract?
- Are the Bodyguards vetted?
- What are the daily rates?
- Is there a discount for a longer period?
- Can you give references?
- What insurance do you/they have?
- What experience does the company have?
- Can you see some CV’s of potentially suitable Bodyguards?
- How does travelling overseas work?
- Is any equipment included (first aid or communications etc.)?
- What is the agreed method of communication for further instruction?
Should you have any further question on hiring a Bodyguard or require clarification on any points, please do contact us and a member of staff will assist you. For out-of-hours, Intelligent Protection International Limited can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org during office hours, please call: +44 207 4566740